Tuesday, May 19, 2009

East Timor

I arrived in East Timor last night (first time here). Here are a few of my initial thoughts...

  • it's a crazy combo of Indonesian and Portuguese (rightfully so, I guess!)
  • The UN is everywhere, and I mean everywhere! There are about 12 UN police officers stationed at my hotel (I'm down the street from Embassy Row...nothing like DC's embassy row!)
  • The country is beautiful and lush...I imagine Bali to have looked this way 50 years ago
  • It's expensive...way too expensive for what you get ($110/night for room...you've got to be kidding me!)
  • Internet isn't reliable, but what's new in a developing country.
  • For those who told me ET is the Africa of Asia, they were correct.
  • The airport was like stepping out of a 1940's movie! It's all outside...even the baggage claim..crazy. Oh yeah and our plane skidded to the very end of the runway...yes, all the way. I was a bit nervous to say the least
  • People are very hard to reach by phone and email...have to admit I'm a bit jealous!
I'll post some pictures later (probably in Indonesia when the internet is better).

Also, three upcoming posts--1) THE TIPSY TURTLE IS OPEN! 2) Speaking at Muster in Panama and 3) Old Crow Medicine Show.

Stay tuned....

1 comment: